Attendance: Nancy Shaw, Kathleen Helm, Linda Bickle, Mary Filer, Ronalda Arends, Sandy Kline, Bernice Mills, Sue Barcus, Sara Warren, Virginia Johnson, Veronica Huskin, Carol Briscoe, Priscilla Palacio, Dianna Hardrick, Cathy Ortega, Carol Clark, Margaret Arnot, Carol Davis, Marilynn Centa, Nancy Sexton, Patty Corsentino, Patty Minkler, Liz Alberici, Renee Helgeson, Maryellen Naughton, Fay McPherson, Shirley Schwab, Carolyn Baker, Helen Paul, Barb Heaton, Sandy Fundom, Vicki Shafer. Guests: Vinda Robison, her daughter, grandson, & niece. Noni’s grandson.
Birthdays: Helen Paul and Veronica Huskin (Aug 13th), Janet Zurovski (18th), Vanna Morningstar (28th).
Minutes: The Minutes of July 2018 were emailed to the membership, and were approved as published. Correspondence: we received a Thank You note from Stacy Minkler for the gift of her quilt of appreciation.
Treasurers’ Reports: Balance in the General Fund is $6890. The Balance is high due to payments for the Retreat. Balance in the Raffle Acct is $2844. The 2019 Raffle Quilt has been finished! Full Treasurer’s Report is attached.
Library: New Chair – Maryellen Naughton. Purchase of a new book for our library: Scrap Patchwork by Sandra Clemons.
· Need a Chair for Publicity. Noni will accept. Her internet access has not been available due to the Spring Fire but should be usable soon.
· Programs will be taken over by Carol Davis & Carolyn Baker.
· No meeting on Monday 10 September. This is the day prior to the start of Retreat. We will have our September program during Retreat – owner of Nuts & Boltsquilt shop in Woodland Park will come on Wed evening following dinner.
· Discussion of judging at County Fair. Currently the county uses quilt shop employees, whose judging is subjective. Consensus: we would like the criteria to be the same as State Fair judging, which uses CQC certified judges. Margaret Arnot will bring this info to County.
· Name for the new Raffle Quilt (displayed today – see photos on website). Midnight Gardenwas selected from several suggestions, and measures 85”x85”. The top was made by several of our members and quilted by Cyndi McChesney. This quilt was a Jinny Beyer kit entitled Shenandoah Baskets, and donated by Tommi Lard.
· We are still gathering quilts to take to the Veterans Home in Walsenburg. [We also have a large bag of the bibs for them, and at least 2 wheelchair blankets.] We will visit and make our presentation in September following Retreat.
· 52 blocks in 52 weeks. Four new patterns today, will be on website. Next 4 will be emailed the week prior to Retreat.
· Today – trunk show with Vinda Robison. Journey Into Art Quilts. Vinda is a member of Piecing Partners quilt guild in Colorado Springs. She has led a number of Quilt Challenges with her guild, and has participated in several Hoffman Challenges. Recommends book Color and Composition for the Creative Quilterby Katie Pasquini Masopust.
· September – Retreat.
· October – 3-day class with Rhonda Denney, Oct 2-4. Cost is $100/person for the 3 days. See Carol Davis to sign up - $25 deposit now. Rhonda will stay with Carol, but asks that her travel expense be paid by the Guild. Motion: That Scrappy Ladies pay one half ($103) of travel (Carol Davis/Ronalda Arends/Passed). Carol will ask Pride City to cover the other half.
· Last payments due today. Waiver forms available; please complete & return to Nancy.
· The drive should take approx. 1.5 hours. Those that would like to “caravan” for the drive, meet at Ace Hardware at 8:15a, leave at 8:30a.
· Sewing Room available at 10:00a, individual rooms at Noon. Departure Friday 10:00a.
· Eat lunch on the way or bring with you – first meal there will be dinner!
· Microwave, refrigerator, coffee pots available in our Sewing Room. We need to bring paper products, filters & coffee, snacks.
· Consensus – Breakfasts @ 8:30a, Dinners @ 5:30p. Exception – Wed night @ 4:00 due to Program @ 6:00p.
· Bring electrical cords and surge protectors – try for high joule rating.
· Please list your name, medical/Rx info & Emer Contact info on a 3x5 card, and place under your sewing machine at Retreat. This ensures privacy but availability if needed.
· Bring 6 gifts/prizes (unwrapped) for the Dice Game. New/nice items but not too pricey! Try for $5-7 range. No Strip Poker this year.
· We have a large bag of donated wedding dresses from which to make Angel Gowns for deceased infants, and we have a pattern and instructions. Deconstruction of the dresses has already begun, and some members are sewing. Carol D. and Carolyn have made more than a dozen of the Angel Gowns; Carol C. will show them at Pride City. Parkview Hospital and some funeral homes have expressed interest in having these donated to them.
· Small pieces of paper handed out – put your name & 3 favorite colors. Papers collected; draw one. This is your Secret Friend for whom you will purchase 3 fat quarters in her colors. Give the FQ to this person at the Oct meeting. She will then make a block with them, and give back to you! UPDATE: Purchase the 3 FQ and make a 12”x12” block. You will give this block to the Friend at the October meeting.
· Quilt Show in Westcliffe – Labor Day weekend. Thurs-Sun, 10:00a-5:00p. At the Olde Schoolhouse, 320 S. 4thStreet, Westcliffe.
Nancy shared another scrappy quilt
Vinda's first quilt was the one on the cover of Harriet Hargrave's book. It was a gift to her parents for a major wedding anniversary.